Saturday 13th January 2018
By Michelle Hammond
Q1: How did your childhood influence your work ethic and attitude towards business?
I’m a farmer’s daughter and so always had chores to do growing up. Having to earn my pocket money meant that I learnt that you have to work hard and you get out what you put in.
Q2: What do you believe the principles of a successful business are today?
Communication, passion and belief in what you do.
Q3: Looking back, what was your best business decision?
Working with my family & building a business from nothing taught me the most not only about myself but also about business.
Q4: Who has influenced you the most through your career?
Q5: What was your most difficult / worst business decision?
I don’t think I’ve had one huge worst or most difficult decision. I’ve found that business is often about lots of little decisions that need to be made and learning from your mistakes if it doesn’t turn out the way you thought.
Q6: What would you say was the single most advantageous character trait for success?
Never giving up and being positive.
Q7: What happens when you’re stressed or overwhelmed?
I feel tense and begin to get headaches.
Q8: How do you invest in your own wellbeing. How do you look after yourself?
I get regular massages and go cycling.
Q9: If you could change one thing about the spa and wellness industry what would it be and why?
As an industry we need to put more focus on education therapists. The spa and wellness sector is growing at a phenomenal rate and we are not putting in the foundations for therapists to have longevity & career prospects.
Q10: Finally, What’s your favourite quote or the best advice you’ve ever been given?
Explanation equals expectation.
FLASH FACTS - FOR FUN SECTION
1. What’s your favourite book. The Thorn Birds
2. What’s your favourite film of all time . Out of Africa
3. If you could have dinner with anyone, past or present, who would it be and why? Geraldine Howard
4. You get taken to your favourite place to be, where are you taken? Sri Lanka or Northumberland
5. Your perfect dinner is? Steak at Hawksmoor
6. Your go to drink is? Gin & Tonic made by my partner Mark.
7. Your favourite sweet treat is? Green & Blacks Chocolate
8. What’s your favourite essential oil / scent? Frankincense
9. You go for a treatment - what do you have and why? I usually have a massage to help me unwind.
10.What’s your favourite flower? Peony
11.You want to sleep deeply, what do you do? Hot bath with Water Soothe Bath & Body Oil
12.You want to energise fast, what do you do? Dry body brushing is very invigorating, especially in the morning.
13.The theme tune to your life is? Dancing Queen - Abba
14.What makes you laugh to your belly? My best friend Suzy.
15.What’s your favourite season? Winter
16. What’s your favourite colour? Green
17. Your favourite time of day is? Morning or evening
18. If you could have been anyone or anything else, what / who would you be? Three day eventer.
19. What’s your current TV guilty secret? Narcos
20. Magic dust - you can learn one new skill instantly, what is it? Surfing.
'Louise Riby has been in the spa and beauty industry for nearly 30 years, covering beauty therapy, aromatherapy, operating spas and health clubs, training and then latterly working for a product house. She calls herself a ‘Product Junkie’ and is always looking for new and innovative ways to keep stress at bay for herself and then share with their customers at Elemental Herbology.
She has always been passionate about the wellness industry and her career highlights include working in varied areas for Champneys, The Hilton Group and at Aromatherapy Associates, leaving there as V.P. of EMEA before joining Elemental Herbology as Managing Director.’